Every year, pumpkin season ushers the start of autumn. It may be the most versatile vegetable on earth and is therefore one of my favorites. The sweetness of pumpkin makes it easily used in a great variety of sweet and savory recipes. The Pumpkin in these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies even substitutes egg, which makes them vegan if you choose to use vegan margarine and vegan chocolate.
Ingredients for 12 Cookies
• 120g butter or margarine (room temperature)
• 100g dark brown sugar
• 50g white granulated sugar
• 75g pumpkin puree
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 190g all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp pumpkin spice (Speculaas spices)
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 120g dark chocolate chips or chunks
• Baking sheet
• Baking paper
• Hand mixer or stand mixer
• 2 mixing bowls
How it’s done!
1. Beat the butter and the sugars in a bowl until nicely combined. It does not have to be fluffy (or else the cookie will be cakey).
2. Add the pumpkin puree and the vanilla extract and mix again until just combined.
3. In another bowl whisk the dry ingredients together, to make sure the ingredients will be evenly distributed in the dough. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until the flour is incorporated.
4. Add the chocolate chips/chunks to the pumpkin spice cookie dough and stir them into the dough with a spatula.
5. Let the dough chill in the fridge for about 1 hour to firm it up.
6. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
7. Roll 12 balls of the dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Make sure there is enough space between each cookie, so there’s room for the cookies to spread out. (I baked the dough in 2 batches of 6 cookies.) Press each cookie down a bit, to flatten the top.
8. Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes until the cookies are golden browned and set at the edges and top. Let the cookies cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack.
Tip: If you like your cookies rounder, use a baking ring or large round cookie cutter and circle it around the edges of the cookies when they are still warm.
Serving tip: Try dunking these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies in a warm Chai latte.
Hungry for more cookies? Try these crazy Maple cinnamon & Ketchup crisp cookies, Cool Chocolate chip Cookie vanilla ice cream sandwiches or Homemade S’mores Sandwich Cookies!
Let me know in the comments down below if you enjoyed these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies. And feel free to drop any questions or suggestions. It always makes me happy so see photos of your creations. So share them with me @Talesofpastry (Insta + FB) or Tales-Of-Pastry (Reddit).