This is my take on the tastiest campfire tradition: S’mores! With layers of homemade Graham crackers, marshmallow meringue, and chocolate ganache. The full S’mores experience without having to play with fire to get your marshmallow and chocolate nice and ooey-gooey. No (camp)fire needed with these Homemade S’mores Sandwich Cookies!
Ingredients for 24 S’mores
For the Homemade Graham Crackers
• 180g butter (room temperature)
• 150g all-purpose flour
• 150g whole wheat flour
• 120g light brown sugar
• 45g honey (2 tbsp)
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 salt
For the Marshmallow meringue
• 150g sugar
• 3 egg whites
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
For the Chocolate ganache
• 200 ml cream
• 150g milk chocolate
• 100g dark chocolate
• Baking sheet
• Baking paper
• Saucepan (wash in between)
• Hand mixer or stand mixer
• 2 mixing bowls (wash in between)
• 1 heatproof bowl
• 2 piping bags or a butter knife
• Cookie cutter
How to prepare the Homemade Graham crackers
1. In a bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl, add the butter, light brown sugar, and honey. Beat it until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything is mixed well.
3. Add the dry ingredient mixture bit by bit and mix it on low speed until just combined.
4. Shape the dough into a flat square disk and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or beeswax cloth. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour. This way the dough will be the right temperature and consistency to roll out.
5. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
6. Dust the kitchen counter with some flour and roll out the dough until about 3 mm thickness (or just about the thickness that you prefer for the crackers).
7. Cut out 48 cookies with a cookie cutter and place them on the prepared baking sheet (this will take a couple of times to roll out the dough scraps and cut out the cookies again). Punch some holes into each cookie with a skewer, to give it a cute and artisan look.
8. Bake the cookies in about 10 minutes, golden brown. Let the cookies cool down on a wire rack and store in an airtight container before you are building the S’mores. Depending on the size of your baking sheet it will take 2 or 3 batches to bake all the cookies.
How to prepare the Marshmallow meringue
1. Whisk sugar, egg whites, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl. Set the bowl on top of a saucepan filled with a small layer of simmering water (do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Whisk constantly for about 4 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thinned out a bit.
2. Remove the bowl from the heat and wipe the condensed water of the bottom of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer with the whisk attachment for about 5 minutes on high speed until glossy, stiff peaks form.
3. Fill a piping bag with the marshmallow meringue. (If you use single-use piping bags, cut the tip of the piping bag of with a knife or scissors before use.)
How to prepare the Chocolate ganache
1. Chop the chocolate into little pieces (or use drops or callets) and put them in a heatproof bowl.
2. In a saucepan heat the cream until it starts to bubble around the edges of the pan.
3. Pour the hot cream on top of the chocolate and stir with a spatula until all the chocolate has melted.
4. Let the ganache firm up a little at room temperature and fill a piping bag with the ganache. (If you use single-use piping bags, cut the tip of the piping bag of with a knife or scissors before use.)
How to assemble the S’mores
Before you start assembling the S’mores: I like to advise you to only assemble the S’mores which you are going to eat within an hour. The crispy homemade Graham Crackers will take up the moisture from the Marshmallow meringue and the chocolate ganache, which will turn the Graham crackers soft. However, this softer texture of the Graham crackers pairs great with the fillings!
If you like to keep the crispy texture of the Graham Crackers, you can keep the piping bags with the marshmallow meringue and the chocolate ganache in the fridge until use. Let the ganache come to room temperature before use to make it easily pipable.
1. Line the crackers upside down. For each S’more cookie sandwich you need 2 homemade Graham Crackers.
2. Pipe a generous dollop of Marshmallow meringue on one Homemade Graham cracker and a generous dollop of chocolate ganache on top of the other Graham cracker.
3. Place the homemade Graham cracker with the Marshmallow side down on top of the Graham cracker with the chocolate ganache. Repeat this for the rest of the S’mores Sandwich Cookies.
Serving tip: Serve the Homemade S’mores Sandwich Cookies with a glass of milk
If you enjoyed making these Homemade S’mores Sandwich Cookies, you might also like these Chocolate chip Cookie vanilla ice cream sandwiches. Or go crazy with these Maple Cinnamon & Ketchup crisp Cookies with Ketchup glaze!
If you made these Homemade S’mores Sandwich Cookies, please share your creations @Talesofpastry. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to drop a comment down below!