These Pumpkin Shaped Pumpkin Buns will be a super cozy addition to your autumn breakfast, lunch, or brunch-table. They are rather cute than spooky but are a perfect happy Halloween treat! These buns are free from animal products.
Ingredients for 8 Pumpkin Buns
- 500g all-purpose flour (4 cups)
- 240g pumpkin puree (1 cup)
- 120 ml water (1/2 cup)
- 23g light brown sugar (2 tbsp)
- 7g active dry yeast (2,5 tsp)
- 6g salt (1 tsp)
- 8 pumpkin seeds
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer with dough hook(s)
- Baking sheet
- Baking paper or mat
- Approx. 8 m kitchen twine
- Beeswax cloth or plastic foil
- Spatula or spoon
How it’s done!
1. Mix water, active dry yeast, light brown sugar and pumpkin puree with a spoon or spatula until everything is nicely mixed, the sugar starts to dissolve and the yeast has no lumps left.
2. Add the flour and salt and mix it with the stand mixer or with your hands for 8-10 minutes until a tender dough as formed.
3. Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl, or oil the bowl in which the dough is already in (just lift up the dough and oil underneath). Cover the bowl with beeswax cloth, a bathing cap, or plastic foil and let it rise on a warm spot for 1 hour.
4. Prepare a baking sheet with baking paper.
5. Remove the covering of the dough and punch the dough down to release excess air.
6. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts of dough. Take one of the pieces of dough, shape it tightly into a ball, and pinch the bottom of the dough ball together. Take approx. 1 meter of kitchen twine, place the middle of the kitchen twine on top of the dough ball. Flip the ball with the string, cross it and flip the ball around again. Repeat this until the dough ball is divided into 8 equal sections. (Make sure to not tie your kitchen twine too tightly. Otherwise, it will be challenging to remove the kitchen twine afterward.) Repeat this process with the other 7 dough balls.
7. Put the little dough pumpkins onto the prepared baking sheet. Cover it with beeswax cloth or plastic foil and let it rise at a warm place for 30 minutes. (The dough will puff up into really cute pumpkin shapes). Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F.
8. Remove the covering and bake the pumpkin shaped pumpkin buns for 15-20 minutes 170°C/340°F until lightly browned on top. If you prefer a less browned pumpkin bun, bake the pumpkin shaped pumpkin buns for 15-20 minutes on 160°C/320°F.
9. Let the pumpkin shaped pumpkin buns cool down on a wire rack and carefully remove the kitchen twine. Start by cutting the kitchen twine loose with scissors. You may want to tear the buns open a bit on places where the kitchen twine meets the buns, to get the kitchen twine out more easily without damaging the pumpkin buns.
10. Push a pumpkin seed on top of each pumpkin bun and they are ready to be served.
Serving tip: Slice the bun in half and top it like a sandwich.
If you like more Fall recipes, try these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies, these Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns or these Dutch Worstenbroodjes (Dutch Sausage Rolls).
Let me know in the comments down below if you enjoyed these Pumpkin Shaped Pumpkin Buns. And feel free to drop any questions or suggestions. It always makes me happy so see photos of your creations. So share them with me @Talesofpastry (Insta + FB) or Tales-Of-Pastry (Reddit).