In the second episode of the Mystery Baking Challenge, the 3 randomly selected ingredients were Maple syrup, Cinnamon, and Ketchup crisps. Although this combination seemed super crazy, the taste was a surprisingly good match in these Maple cinnamon & Ketchup crisp cookies! To take it a little bit to the next level of craziness I added a Ketchup glaze with maple syrup and cinnamon.
Ingredients for 12-15 Cookies
For the Maple, Cinnamon Ketchup crisp Cookies
- 300g white flour
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 120g butter
- 100g Ketchup crisps +
- some extra for decoration
- 80ml maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Ketchup glaze
- 110g powdered sugar
- 40g Ketchup
- 10g maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Ketchup crisps for decoration
- Baking sheet
- Baking paper
- Electric (stand)mixer
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small whisk or fork
- 1 spoon
- Optional: ice cream scoop
How it’s done
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
2. Put the butter and the brown sugar in a bowl and mix until creamy for about 1-2 minutes on medium-high speed.
3. Add the egg and mix on high speed until combined.
4. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix on high speed until combined.
5. Add the ketchup crisps to the dry ingredients and crush the crisps with your hands while mixing it into the dry ingredient mixture.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the cookie batter and mix on low speed until incorporated.
7. Chill the dough for 1,5 – 2 hours in the fridge. Take the dough out of the fridge 30 minutes before shaping it if the dough is still a little too firm to handle.
8. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
9. Place 6 balls or scoops of cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet. Push a ketchup crisp on top of each cookie ball.
10. Bake each batch of cookies for 11-13 minutes.
Tip: To create flat and crinkled cookies, try to pan bang your cookies a couple of times on your kitchen counter or stove. Flaten out the cookies some more with the backside of a spoon.
11. To make the glaze, mix all the ingredients for the glaze together in a small bowl and drizzle the glaze on top of the cooled cookies. Add some crunched ketchup chips on top and let the glaze set for about an hour.
Hungry for more cookie recipes? Check out the recipe for Apple, banana, brownie cookies!
Are you up to the challenge to bake these crazy Maple cinnamon & Ketchup crisp cookies with Ketchup glaze? I’d love to see your creations! Share them with me @TalesofPastry. Let me know in the comments what you’re thoughts about these cookies are and if you have any questions.