It’s Cinnamon bun and pumpkin spice season! So I thought; Let’s combine the best of both worlds. I recently rediscovered my love for Speculoos Cookie Butter and was dreaming of all bakes I could uplift with it. So I present to you: Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns! Sticky, fluffy rolls with lush Speculoos cream cheese frosting.
Ingredients for 9 Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns
• 180 ml milk
• 7g instant yeast
• 50g sugar
• 2 small eggs (80g whisked)
• 60g butter, melted
• 430g flour
• 7g salt (3/4 tsp)
For the filling
• 120g Cookie butter (Speculoos/Biscoff)
• 40g soft butter
• 30g light brown sugar
• 1 tsp cinnamon
For the frosting
• 100g cream cheese
• 70g Cookie butter (Speculoos/Biscoff)
• 15g soft butter
• 15g powdered sugar
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the decoration
• 5 Speculoos/Biscoff cookies
• Baking Paper
• Kitchen knife
• Baking tin (23 cm/ 9 inch)
• Rolling pin
• Mixing bowl
• Mixer with dough hook(s)
• 2 small bowls
How it’s done
1. Warm the milk until lukewarm. Put the warm milk, instant yeast, sugar, eggs and melted butter into a bowl and mix until everything is combined.
2. Add the flour and the salt and stir it together with a spatula until a dough starts to form.
3. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes with a (stand)mixer with dough hook(s) or with your hands (use enough flour to dust the kitchen counter or table).
4. Transfer the dough to an oil greased bowl (or as I usually do: grease the bowl in which the dough is kneaded, lift the dough with a dough scraper, and also grease underneath the dough). Cover the bowl with plastic, a kitchen towel or wax paper and let the dough rise for an hour or until it has doubled in size (depends on the temperature and humidity of the environment).
5. Dust the countertop with flour and roll out the dough into a 30×40 cm (12×16 inch) rectangle.
6. Mix the Cookie butter and the soft butter and spread it on top of the dough. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top. (You are welcome to add more sugar and/or cinnamon if your prefer).
7. Tightly roll up the dough, starting at the 30 cm side. (Putting the seam side down will make slicing easier.) The dough will probably spread a little to the sides, so just use your hands on both ends of the roll to push it a little bit back in.
8. Cut the roll in 9 even slices with a sharp knife (I use a little oil on the knife, so the dough won’t stick). Line the baking tin with baking paper (I like to crumple the baking paper up so it will easily get in the corners of the tin.) and place the Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns in the baking tin.
9. Cover the Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns plastic, a kitchen towel, or wax paper and let it rise for another 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
10. Remove the covering and bake the Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven until lightly browned.
11. Let the Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns cool down at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the frosting until nice and smooth. Frost the buns you are directly going to serve and keep the rest of the frosting in the fridge for later.
If you liked these Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns, then you may also like these other Autumn favorites: Dutch Sausage rolls (Worstenbroodjes), super quick brunch Cruffins, and the ultimate Friendship bread!
In case you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to drop a comment down below. And if you made these Speculoos Cookie Butter Buns I love to see your creation! Share them with me @Talesofpastry (Insta + FB) or Tales-Of-Pastry (Reddit).