Cheesecake is one of my favorite cakes! But the recipes always kind of scared me. While there are a million different variations of cheesecake recipes, I never dared to make the real New York Cheesecake. Let me make it clear that I am not a fitgirl of any kind but putting one kilo of cream cheese in one cake? Seriously? Now I understand why the slices are always that small. That still disappoints me, however. My mother always made her own ‘light’ versions of recipes to make it tasty and more healthy. So that is the style that I like to take an example of. But I also believe that some recipes have to be made how they were intended to be. So I decided to go all the way this time and create my favorite Fruity New York Cheesecake.
How it’s done
In this New York Cheesecake recipe, I used two different kinds of cream cheese. Half Philadelphia cream cheese (22% fat) and half Mon Chou cream cheese (31% fat). But any combination of full-fat cream cheese preferably around 25% fat is perfect. For the decoration, I used strawberries, apple mint, and lemon zest.
• 250g digestive biscuits
• 80g melted butter
• 600g cream cheese
• 125g sour cream
• 175g sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• Zest of one lemon
• 1 tbsp corn starch
26 cm or 10 inch springform
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Butter the sides of the springform and line the bottom of the springform with baking paper.
2. Grind the digestive biscuits in the food processor until fine. Mix with the melted butter and divide the mixture over the bottom of the springform and create 3 centimeters high edges. To make it neat you can make the edges a little higher en cut the rest of crumb mixture above 3 centimeters of with a butter knife.
3. Bake the pie crust for 10 minutes, let it cool down, and lower the temperature of the oven to 150°C.
4. Beat the cream cheese & sour cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Ad the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and mix it for 2 minutes on medium speed until fluffy. Ad the eggs one at a time and mix until combined. And finally, add the corn starch and whisk it trough the mixture.
5. Pour the cream cheese filling into the prepared springform and bake it for 75 minutes. The cake has to be set on the outside but still a little bit wobbly on the inside. Let the cake cool down on a wire rack and run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen the cake from the sides of the springform. Before serving, cool the New York Cheesecake for at least 6 hours in de fridge.
In case you tried this Fruity New York Cheesecake recipe I would be stoked to see your creations. Please share them with me @TalesofPastry or #TalesofPastry. Leave a comment down below if you have any questions or would like to share your thoughts with me.
Jamie PendersJune 10, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Thank you for visiting Tales of Pastry. I hope you like this cheesecake recipe <3