This Dutch Speculaas tart with Almond filling is a hybrid between the Dutch Boterkoek and the filled Speculaas (Dutch spiced cookies with a layer of almond paste). It’s a rich buttery dough with Speculaas spices. Every baker used to make their own spice mix and is similar to gingerbread spices but not the same! Speculaas spices are a mix of cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, coriander, star anise, allspice, and mace.
Ingredients for 10-12 servings
For the Speculaas dough
- 250g butter (room-temp.)
+ some extra to grease
- 200g fine sugar
- 300g flour
- 2 tbsp Speculaas spices
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the almond filling
- 150g blanched almonds
- 150g fine sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
For the decoration
- 1/2 egg beaten
- 3 tbsp shaved almonds
- Food processor
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowl
- 20 cm/8 inch springform
- Baking paper
How it’s done!
1. Put the almonds and the sugar into the food processor and pulse into a almond flour consistency. Make it as fine as you like, but little bits and pieces are no problem.
2. Add the lemon zest and the egg and pulsate again until everything is mixed. Keep the almond filling in the fridge until use.
3. Beat the butter and the sugar with a mixer until smooth.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients for the Speculaas dough and mix until a dough forms.
5. Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F fan.
6. Line the springform with baking paper and grease the sides of the tin with butter.
7. Use half of the Speculaas dough to cover the bottom of the springform. Take around 2/5th of the remaining Speculaas dough and roll a long strand (of about 1 cm/0,4 inch thick) and place it along the edge of the springform.
8. Divide the almond filling over the Speculaas dough and spread it out evenly.
9. Roll out the remaining Speculaas dough into a disc as large as the almond center and place it on top. Push the edges of the dough a little to paste the dough lid to the edges of the dough.
10. Spread the beaten egg over the Speculaas dough and sprinkle the shaved almonds on top.
11. Bake the Dutch Speculaas tart with Almond filling for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
12. Let the Dutch Speculaas tart with Almond filling cool down completely before slicing it.
Tried this Dutch Delicacy? Let me know in the comments down below if you enjoyed this Dutch Speculaas tart with Almond fillings. And feel free to drop any questions or suggestions. It always makes me happy to see photos of your creations. So share them with me @Talesofpastry (Insta + FB) or Tales-Of-Pastry (Reddit).