Summer and winter meet in these Almond, Semolina, Orange Drizzle cakes. Tones of marzipan, orange and orange blossom, bound together with the freshness of cream fresh. The juiciness of the orange & orange blossom syrup makes the almond, semolina cake even more tender. Serve it with a warm cup of tea, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, or some fine bubbles.
Ingredients for 4 Cakes
For the Almond, Semolina, Orange cakes
- 80g butter (room temperature)
- 70g cane sugar
- 70g almond flour
- 40g semolina
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the Orange & Orange blossom syrup
- 60g fresh orange juice
- 30g white sugar
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
For the topping
- 4 tbsp crème fresh
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 slice of orange
- Standmixer or whisk
- Mixing bowl
- 4 tartlet tins
- Citrus grater
- Citrus press
How it’s done
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F. Grease the tartlet tins with butter.
2. Cream the butter with the cane sugar and the orange zest.
3. Add the egg, orange blossom water and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
4. Add the almond flour, semolina, salt and baking powder and mix until incorporated.
5. Divide the cake batter over the cake tins and bake them for 15 minutes.
6. Put the ingredients for the orange & orange blossom syrup in a saucepan and dissolve the sugar on medium high heat. Let it boil for a couple of minutes until the syrup thickens up a bit.
7. Prick several holes in the cakes and pour the syrup on top of the cakes while they’re still in the tartlet tins. Let the syrup soak into the cakes and let them completely cool down before releasing the cakes from their tins.
8. Cut the slice of orange into 4 quarters. Serve the cakes upside down and top each of them off with a quarter slice of orange, a spoon full of crème fresh (make a quenelle by using 2 tablespoons), and freshly zested orange.
If you loved this recipe, you may also like these Orange, Olive oil & Orange blossom Cupcakes.
If you made these Almond, Semolina, Orange Drizzle cakes, I’d love to see your creations. Share it with me via @Talesofpastry. And in case you have any questions, suggestions, or anything else you want to share with me, let me know in de comments down below.